Sunday, 24 February 2013

Homemade Afternoon Tea - a birthday celebration


Afternoon tea treats!
It has been a while since I have posted an Afternoon Tea for you all. Earlier this week a friend celebrated her 70th birthday, so we helped welcome this milestone birthday with a quiet but simple afternoon tea.


Menu

Chicken finger sandwiches 
Cheese finger sandwiches

***

Raspberry and cream shortbread
Fruit cake
Butterfly fairy cakes

***

Harvey Nichols Afternoon tea blend

***
An array of Afternoon Tea delights
The shortbread was made using the Shortbread Fingers recipe, but this time I used a standard pastry cutter along with my homemade stamp, which I have been waiting to use since last June. You can make the biscuits the day before, then pipe on a little fresh cream and top off with a few raspberries - simple but highly addictive! 

I also defrosted a few butterfly fairy cakes from the freezer that morning and the fruit cake was made a few days earlier. An afternoon tea that did not require hours of preparation and just as enjoyable as if hours were spent on it.

20 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful, I wish someone would do that for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful. I have to cater for my mother's 80th birthday lunch in March, I don't think finger sandwiches are going to do it, and I have to transport the whole lunch and cake 200+ miles :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice hope your mum has a wonderful 80th birthday !

      Delete
  3. Hi I'm John from Fooduel.com. It is a site in which users vote recipes
    from 1 to 10.

    There is a ranking of the best recipes and a profile with your voted recipes. Each recipe has a link to the blog which belongs the recipe. This way you will get traffic to your blog

    It's easy, fast and fun. The best Photo recipes will be here.

    I invite you to enter, add your blog and upload a recipe with a nice photo.

    We would love that you participate with some recipe like this.Look Amazing!

    Regards

    http://www.Fooduel.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love your crockery too - I am kicking myself for not having kept my grandmother's china tea set (I blame my ex who said we didn't have room for it!) - eating off vintage china makes afternoon tea even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline what a shame you don't have your grandmothers china - but you are right eating off vintage china makes the cakes taste even better :)
      Angela

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is certainly an impressive homemade afternoon tea spread. I especially like the picture of the fruit cake x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is so lovely. I adore afternoon tea, both the making and devouring! Your shortbreads look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks really lovely - the mismatched vintage crockery looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie - I do love a bit of vintage crockery

      Delete
  8. I would pay a lot of money for that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really pretty and very thoughtful. I love all the delicate china! I enjoy afternoon tea. I adore drinking tea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the way you have set up the table and of course the cakes look fab x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute idea. I love afternoon tea x

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea, will use in the future

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks good enough to eat!!
    I'm now thinking of doing something similar for a 50th birthday coming up soon, just got to scour some local fairs and charity shops for some vintage china!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely treat for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate you leaving me a comment and I enjoy reading them all. Thank you so much.
Angela x